42 Miles Press Poetry Award
Judge: David Dodd Lee, Series Editor
The 42 Miles Press Poetry Award was created in an effort to bring fresh and original voices to the poetry reading public. The prize is offered annually to any poet writing in English, including poets who have never published a full-length book as well as poets who have published several. New and Selected collections of poems are also welcome.
Manuscripts submitted for the 42 Miles Press Poetry Award should exhibit an awareness of the contemporary “voice” in American poetry, an awareness of our moment in time as poets. We are excited to receive poetry that is experimental as well as work of a more formalist bent, as long as it reflects a complexity and sophistication of thought and language.
Urgency, yes; melodrama, not so much.
The winning poet will receive $1,000, publication of his or her book, and 50 author copies. The winner will also be invited to give a reading at Indiana University South Bend as part of the release of the book. The final selection will be made by the Series Editor. Current or former students or employees of Indiana University South Bend, as well as friends of the Series Editor, are not eligible for the prize.
Winners will be announced via our website in the summer of 2017. We will also announce the winner in major magazines such as Poets & Writers. The winning book will be published in September 2018 and be available to purchase on SPD and Amazon.
Manuscripts will be accepted from December 1st, 2016 to March 1st, 2017. Manuscripts received prior to December 1, or postmarked after March 1, will be recycled and the entry fee returned.
- There is a $25, non-refundable, entry fee, made payable to Indiana University.
- Your cover sheet should include name, address, phone number, and e-mail.
- The manuscript should be paginated (between 45 and 100 pp.) and include a table of contents and acknowledgments page.
- There is no limit on the number of entries an author may submit.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine (in fact they are encouraged), but please withdraw your manuscript if it gets taken for publication elsewhere.
- No manuscripts will be returned.
Hard Copy Submission:
- Please include $25 check made payable to Indiana University.
- Please include SASE if you would like the results mailed to you.
- Please include a self-addressed postage paid postcard if you desire confirmation of manuscript receipt.
- Send your manuscript to email@example.com in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format.
- Please send via regular mail your $25 check made payable to Indiana University.
- Manuscripts received via e-mail will not be considered until the entry fee has been received.
- We will e-mail confirmation once payment has been received.
Mail entries to:
42 Miles Press Poetry Award
Indiana University South Bend
Department of English
1700 Mishawaka Avenue
P. O. Box 7111
South Bend, IN 46634-7111