Judge: David Dodd Lee, Series Editor
The 42 Miles Press Poetry Award was created in an effort to bring urgent and original voices to the poetry reading public. The prize is offered annually to any poet writing in English, including poets who have never published a full-length book as well as poets who have published several. New and Selected collections of poems are also welcome.
Manuscripts submitted for the 42 Miles Press Poetry Award should exhibit an awareness of the contemporary “voice” in American poetry, an awareness of our moment in time as poets. We are excited to receive poetry that is experimental as well as work of a more formalist bent, as long as it reflects a complexity and sophistication of thought and language. Urgency, yes; melodrama, not so much. Our tastes are truly eclectic. (Past winners include Betsy Andrews, Carrie Oeding, Allan Peterson, Erica Bernheim, Mary Ann Samyn, Bill Razmovicz, Tracey Knapp, William Stobb, and others. We are also working on forthcoming titles by Claire Bateman and Bryce Berkowitz.
The winning poet will receive $1,000, publication of his or her book, and 50 author copies. The winner will also be invited to give a reading at Indiana University South Bend as part of the release of the book. The final selection will be made by the Series Editor. Current or former students or employees of Indiana University South Bend, as well as friends of the Series Editor, are not eligible for the prize.
Winners will be announced via our website in the summer of 2020. We will also announce the winner in major magazines such as Poets & Writers.
The winning book will be published in September 2019 and be available to purchase on SPD and Amazon.
Manuscripts will be accepted from December 1st, 2019 to March 15, 2020.
Note: In addition to selecting and announcing a winning ms., we will publish on our website a poem or poems drawn from the mss. of all the finalists (usually around 25) in 2020.
- There is a $25, non-refundable, entry fee, made payable to Indiana University.
- Your cover sheet should include name, address, phone number, and e-mail.
- The manuscript should be paginated (between 50 and 120 pp.) and include a table of contents and acknowledgments page.
- There is no limit on the number of entries an author may submit.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine (in fact they are encouraged), but please withdraw your manuscript if it gets taken for publication elsewhere.
- No manuscripts will be returned.
- Send your manuscript to firstname.lastname@example.org in Adobe PDF or Microsoft Word format.
- Please send via regular mail your $25 check made payable to Indiana University.
Hard Copy Submission:
- Please include $25 check made payable to Indiana University.
- Please include SASE if you would like the results mailed to you.
- Please include a self-addressed postage paid postcard if you desire confirmation of manuscript receipt.
Mail entries to:
42 Miles Press Poetry Award
Indiana University South Bend
Department of English
1700 Mishawaka Avenue
P. O. Box 7111
South Bend, IN 46634-7111